I'VE DONE IT... SEPTEMBER 2020

September's been a slow month. A month of staying close to home, switching soups and toasties for snags and homegrown salads.  There wer...

September's been a slow month. A month of staying close to home, switching soups and toasties for snags and homegrown salads. 

There were forays into the bush to see how the rock orchids had got on this year and to marvel at the spring wildflowers. There was an impromptu, after-work fish and chips on the beach. There's been a shaking out of short sleeves from clothes hangers not touched for months. It's been a slow month of watching things emerge from winter hibernation, from lockdowns and the fuzz and fizz of an uncertain world.

I WENT TO... Thirroul, on the NSW Coal Coast for a solo weekend of walking, writing, browsing and a lovely morning tea with a friend and her family.

If you're visiting, I recommend Blackbird for breakfast and Shahi Aroma for a dinner. The latter drew me in on the fragrant smell alone. 

My friend put me onto Wombat: a great place for a treasure hunt. Collins Booksellers Thirroul is an old-style small bookseller. I haven't bought a book in ages and it was an absolute indulgence to be in this one. Noel and Gladys and the upmarket Vinnies boutique are also well worth a browse.

I stayed in this airbnb, walking distance to the village and beach and perfect for a solo traveller or couple. 

I OP SHOPPED... I had a good dig around the Woonona Salvos store while I was away. It's a good op shop to put on your list. I brought home Italian-made leather brogues and a leather belt for cinching in those Covid kilos. 

I READ... something akin to the fiction I pick up when swapping books in AirBnBs and hotels. Necessary People, by Anna Pitoniak fit the bill for a quick plane, train or bus read without the plane, train or bus. Robin Sloan's Sourdough was a more considered choice. It's not, as the name would suggest, a guide to the 2020 quarantine cooking fad, but rather a cheeky blend of science fiction, romance, mystery and magic and tree-change fiction that fits the moment despite the fact it was written some years back.

I MADE... Nothing new, though I have an idea to make a couple of skirts as a work-from-home option through spring and summer.

You Might Also Like

1 comments