I'VE DONE IT... AUGUST 2020

Is it too soon to start thinking about Christmas? I don't think so. I have family interstate and we're resigned to the fact no one w...

Is it too soon to start thinking about Christmas? I don't think so. I have family interstate and we're resigned to the fact no one will be travelling for Christmas and summer catch-ups.

A flat lay of Christmas craft books and decorations
Rather, we're starting to think ahead to how we can make the season merry and bright, while also healthy and safe. The postal service will be busy and I am thinking ahead to ordering online and getting gifts to where they need to go. I'm even wondering whether gifts are the 2020 way to do Christmas, and what the alternatives might be. 

Have you started thinking about how you will do Christmas this year?

I WENT TO... Wollombi for a midweek break. It's only an hour from where I live but it was so good to take a cheeky mid-week, COVID-safe break, drive on country roads festooned with roadside wattle and explore this little Hunter Valley hamlet.

I ATE... Sardines on sourdough with goats cheese, chopped parsley, salt and pepper. So simple, but so good. Tinned sardines are an underrated pantry staple. 

I OP SHOPPED... A bar jigger, silver-plated to boot. There'll be no more measuring out cocktail ingredients in a plastic cook's measure. We're going fancy this summer.

I READ... Normal People, by Sally Rooney, The Dictionary of Lost Words, by Pip Williams and The Cabin at the End of the World, by Paul Tremblay.

I MADE... Three straw bale garden beds. They're an experiment to see whether I can harvest from an unused concrete driveway. The driveway gets a reasonable amount of direct sun and becomes quite hot in summer. It's too narrow for a modern car so it's a space that's going begging. Straw bale plots were in my permaculture plan for the house and garden and I am finally giving them a go. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments