WHAT TO EAT IN SRI LANKA, THE SWEETS EDITION

If you're considering travel in Sri Lanka, track down tour companies or locals who can introduce you to the delights of the local cuisin...

If you're considering travel in Sri Lanka, track down tour companies or locals who can introduce you to the delights of the local cuisine. I had been expecting, like much of my travel in South East Asia, to find a culture of street food but it's all about being in the know in Sri Lanka. Once you meet the locals or are introduced by way of a tour, you'll find plenty to tempt the taste buds.


BUFFALO CURD

This was one of the first Sri Lankan tastes I tried. When you arrive in the middle of the night, you wake disorientated and hungry... really hungry.

I opted for a local breakfast of fresh fruit and juice, buffalo curd and treacle, and fish curry on that first morning in Negombo.

The curd is smooth and tangy and with treacle - made from a variety of coconut palm - quickly became one of my favourite Sri Lankan snacks. The curd can be found in family size terracotta pots sold at roadside stalls. 





DODOL

It's a good thing I didn't discover this moreish fudge-like sweet until late in the trip. I am not a particularly sweet tooth, but this was warm and dark in flavour and texture and once I learned to spy dodol street stalls I'd walk across lanes of traffic to hunt down a fix.


FALUDA

There's plenty of ways you could spend a day in Colombo, but my pick would be to walk through the city's market district, past beautiful Hindu and Muslim temples, dig around in kitchen supply stores and then fuel up on a faluda.

I have had versions of this cold, sweet drink in Muslim communities across Asia and the sweet jelly, tapioca, rice noodles and rosewater in cold milk is much better than the fancy doughnut encrusted freak shakes popularised by Instagrammers. 

FALUDA ICE CREAM

Sri Lanka's answer to Mr Whippy is Elephant House. Elephant House trolleys can be found along the beach strips and at popular tourist locations. The Faluda ice cream is the best and most refreshing 30 rupee you'll ever spend.

You Might Also Like

0 comments