I LIKE MY TUNES OLD SCHOOL

I BOUGHT a few CDs a couple of weekends back and loaded them to my iPod. I know, I know, so old school but I like having the CD artwork and...


I BOUGHT a few CDs a couple of weekends back and loaded them to my iPod. I know, I know, so old school but I like having the CD artwork and browsing artist notes and reading the lyrics out loud like a poem. I know, I know, don't point out the obvious inconsistencies in my professional life - as an online news editor - and my home life. I KNOW, OK! 

Anyhoot, I'm not the only one. I saw a fella on the train this morning pull a Sony Walkman from his pocket. That's right, an original Sony Walkman, with a ... wait for it ... cassette tape inside. He pulled the tape out, turned it over, clicked the case shut and popped it back into his pocket. And that was that. With eyes closed he started the head nodding and foot tapping that goes with diggin' your musical fancy.

I'll get round to doing the same, just as soon as I've finished listening to this podcast. Amazing. Fascinating woman. Fascinating life and a story so very close to home.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I like having the actual CD - artwork and liner notes are a part of the whole experience. I have that Sia album on high rotation at the moment too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel much better about my archaic cassette collection. I still use them in our old car. Whether it's the old compilations of childhood taped from the radio or the original Crowded House aptly titled "Crowded House". Downloading from the ether seems to miss something. I'm like you I like the art work the notes the tactile feel of those squares of shiny smooth paper. I drive my husband nuts with my adherence to such things but he should know by now I am will always be a slate and chalk kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't bear the thought of downloading music. I have to have something tangible to see what I paid for - nothing beats actually having the album in your hands (which of course you can play on a cd player, or convert to to play on anything digital).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love CDs too, buying from iTunes jut doesn't feel the same, nothing to hold or look at. I still have my Discman and think I will hang on to it for life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did the walkman have a few spare batteries in his pocket too, remember the sound when they start to die, which was about every two hours of listening.
    Our old car only plays tapes too, you need to remember not to leave them on the dashboard, not cos they get stolen, they melt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah the walkman - those were the days, i just love the sound of flipping over the tape and snapping it shut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with you. We still buy CDs as opposed to just loading up on iTunes. How else will I check I'm singing the right words?

    ReplyDelete
  8. a good ol' walkman hey. that is pretty darn cool - not even a discman!!
    i am with you here though i still buy cds and load them on to my ipod. i love looking at the artwork too and having something tangible.
    nice additions to your CD collection too btw.

    ReplyDelete