FAMOUS FIVE SAYS...

I CAN'T help myself. I'm reading another Famous Five book, this time Five Have a Wonderful Time.  Enid wasn't much on titles,...

I CAN'T help myself. I'm reading another Famous Five book, this time Five Have a Wonderful Time. Enid wasn't much on titles, was she?

It starts off in much the same way. George is at home, she's bored and getting under the feet of her scientist father. Her mum packs her off to meet her cousins, this time off to a couple of gypsy caravans set up in a field near a castle.

So they all sat there, eating boiled eggs, well-buttered bread, with chunky, home-made marmalade afterwards, and then juicy apples. The sun shone down and Julian took off his coat.
Their two caravans were set on a sloping, grassy hillside. A tall hedge grew behind, and kept off the wind. Primroses ran in a pale gold streak under the hedge, and brilliant celandines shone in the sun, turning their polished faces towards it.
- All together again from Five Have a Wonderful Time, by Enid Blyton, (1952)

Did you see my Facebook post about the Famous Five anniversary release? The books were rewritten so as to be "timeless". 

What do you think, should we be tinkering with Enid's original works?

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. No, the beauty of reading these classics is the enjoyment you get from the prose. Opening the book and all of a sudden you are in a rolling english pasture...eating sanwiches with lettuce, cheese and lashing of mayonnaise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've re-read that first sentence a few times and I'm still confused. Were they eating the boiled eggs with the well-buttered bread, as their first course, then the chunky marmalade followed by the juicy apples. If so did they eat the marmalade straight out of the jar? Or did they eat the boiled eggs first, followed by the chunky marmalade on the well-buttered bread?
    But then I was more of a Secret Seven reader, by the time I should have been reading Famous Five I think I was all Enid-ed out! So I haven't forced her onto my kids!
    Does that make me a philistine?!!
    Also have to confess i had to google celandine, yep never heard of them, look bit like buttercups to me! Which makes "their polished faces" mean more now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the Famous Five. In fact I loved them so much in my younger years and borrowed them so often from the library that the librarian suggested I try something different ... haha! ;)

    Personally I don't like seeing an author's work tinkered with, but I suppose if doing so helps to reach a new audience ... then I'm a little torn on the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so appreciate that you post about Famous Five. Book loves never go away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, never ever tamper with the original. It is our cultural heritage, books that made a generation what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh sounds like a great book! I've been dying for a new read this summer and this one might be the one. Thanks! found your blog through the Wildest of Dreams. Glad I did!

    Cathy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not in favour of changing the works of an author. I really dislike it when they do the same to Agatha Christie as well. The only advantage in this house is that my daughter is tempted by the new covers as she doesn't like the feeling that I'm trying to 'push my old books from the olden days onto her.' I have to gently nudge her into Blyton but once she starts reading them she cannot put them down. But I vote for keeping the original versions. It should be respected that authors are writing from a certain time and place. Thanks for visiting me at Tale Peddler. I did reply to your comment there as well. Toodles. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not in favour of changing the works of an author. I really dislike it when they do the same to Agatha Christie as well. The only advantage in this house is that my daughter is tempted by the new covers as she doesn't like the feeling that I'm trying to 'push my old books from the olden days onto her.' I have to gently nudge her into Blyton but once she starts reading them she cannot put them down. But I vote for keeping the original versions. It should be respected that authors are writing from a certain time and place. Thanks for visiting me at Tale Peddler. I did reply to your comment there as well. Toodles. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Famous Five! When I was a kid I was obsessed with Five Go To Smuggler's Top! I think they're obviously dated because children have a totally different childhood surrounded by technology rather than having to venture out of doors to create their own fantasies. I don't think that warrants the texts being tampered with though - they should be appreciated as texts of their own time!

    Just stumbled on your blog through your guest post on Rhi's!


    raspberrykitsch.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete