ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY - MUSIC

EEEK. Can you count yourself as an Illustration Friday contributor if you contribute only once every so often? This week’s theme was mus...




EEEK. Can you count yourself as an Illustration Friday contributor if you contribute only once every so often? This week’s theme was music and as the chorus to our summer days are the drone of cicadas, I thought it apt to load these quick sketches I made of the critters I found on the weekend.

I am right-handed and tried in these sketches a trick of Bridget’s, of BridBird. Bridget sometimes swaps her dominate hand to use the looser, less controlled hand, and create looser lines. It’s been a revelation.

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. great idea! Wish I could parent left handed for a looser more relaxed line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic one, really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tres cool (the left handed drawing thingy). And these sketches are fabulous! I use my computer mouse on the left hand side to help me balance out my natural right-handed tendency. It's good for my neck/shoulder muscles to have a break but also I hear good for my brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sketches.

    I hope you are an IF contributor, as I only contribute occasionally too. Like you, I tried to do something different this week, and I'm not sure how successful I was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi katie, i'm sorry i haven't done your questions yet - planning to do them this weekend.

    I am really really impressed with these - they have a v special quality to them. Will have to try that technique but think it would only work well if you already have a gift for illustration like you do. you must pursue this line further xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these loose drawings.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That really IS a revelation. Those are gorgeous crittery sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are just beautiful katie, so lovely and lose and fluid. I'm happy to have swayed you into it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I've missed so much here! Love these cicadas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really good, I've recently started trying to use different tecniques in my drawings and these are amazing. Congradulations.

    ReplyDelete