PRICE COMPARISONS

I HAVE seen many an op shopping blogger complain of rising op shop prices. I know the money goes to social services but the fact op shop...





I HAVE seen many an op shopping blogger complain of rising op shop prices. I know the money goes to social services but the fact op shop ladies now know their wares takes some fun out of the hunt. Are op shop volunteers given a Carter’s guide and called on to memorise the listings? Are there special courses where their sat down in front of a full season of the Antiques Roadshow? Last week’s Happy Childhood ABC publication was on the shelf in one op shop for 50 cents but the week before I paid a silly $15 (it was an impulse buy) at another shop for My Jolly Picture Book. It’s lovely, but probably not worth the $15 on it. Check out that cover. Another gollywog.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I totally agree. I think those prices are sky rocketing. I found this old crochet blanket the other day - but it was $30! And this awesome crocheted tablecloth for $20. I felt jipped, and uber stingy, but I left them in the shop. I hear you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had a lovely time reading over your adventures of the last few weeks - camping and weekend trips to Melbourne sound WONDERFUL!
    I love these children's books too - just beautiful. I've also noticed the gollywog resurgence. What's that about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well buying Vintage is quite trendy now so guess the prices are on the rise
    Im sure they could probably get more if they had time to list on EBay...if you love it, you'll pay for it!! i think its a beautiful book...great buy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the op shop prices! My Vinnies have been jacking the prices up everything. Not all the money goes charity, the Manager at my Vinnies makes a commission, and I'm told that it pulls in over $2000 a day!! (I'm friends with an ex-volunteer from mine, and she left, after 15 years, because of a new manager they brought in). The politics of Op shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful illustrations! I have to wonder sometimes too...how can they ask so much? Do they note our show and tell and determine to increase their margins?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have complained recently on my blog about op shop prices and I don't mind doing it again!! Yes crocheted blankets at the Salvos I go to are now all $30!!! and just today I was there and after collecting heavy linen "souvenir" tablecloths and the tea towels for quite a while, well today they had about 3 tablecloths, all very lovely and from the same doner I would say, but they were $9.50!! That's just crazy, I don't mind 3.50, but I just had to walk away from them! The point for me is to be able to recylce, enjoy the retail therapy AND buy things I will use but at a price I can afford, now I can't even do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've pretty much given up on opping. Seems like the volunteers are pilfering the good stuff and leaving the crap at inflated prices. Love the books you found though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love this book cover - and the skating rink illustration!! adorable! I agree the prices are ridiculous in some places and often nothing good is left, books in particular are pricey...

    I find it is best to get out of the cities and into smaller towns - there is still some hope!

    ReplyDelete