I've done it... November

By Friday evening, I will down tools on a year of postgraduate study and enjoy the summer. I will be back in the garden, sewing new summer w...

By Friday evening, I will down tools on a year of postgraduate study and enjoy the summer. I will be back in the garden, sewing new summer wardrobe pieces; and heading out for drinks, eats and beach-going with friends. I can't wait.

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || bladder cicada on the NSW Central Coast

Shrill cicadas remind me every day that summer days are not far away. If you look closely, you will spy the plump abdomen of a bladder cicada that's been hanging out over our front steps for days?

IN NOVEMBER:

I WENT TO... Stanwell Park, on the NSW Coal Coast. It was little bit of a gamble to pack up the car, the study and head south for a weekend prior to uni exams, but it was well worth it. Magnificent blue skies, warm weather, views over Stanwell Park Beach from our AirBnB, a hike up the escarpment, a wander around Coledale Markets, easy breakfasts and beers on the couch (as well as chugging through study notes) made for a great short trip away.

I ATE... breakfasts at Earth Walker and Co General Store and Cafe and 16 Feet Espresso and lunch at the Scarborough Hotel.

Closer to home we had dinner with the eldest and her husband at Dart and Feather. There are so many new places opening on the Central Coast and I am looking forward to trying out more of the new openings over the summer months.

I OP SHOPPED... a 1980s Diane Freis pant suit. This is my first vintage Diane Freis discovery and I've been scouring pages of 1980s designs since. This stuff is full on. It's a riot of pattern and material. It's a dark, printed lightweight wool, which will need a little darning in a couple of spots. I don't want to wish away summer, but I am looking forward to rocking this out when the days turn cool again.

I've also hunted down a number of silk scarves and tops for dye experiments and second-hand zippers to make fabric pouches as Christmas gifts.

I MADE... felt mandalas. I have made these as Christmas gifts for the past couple of years but there are no plans for these, other than to cut through a stash of thrifted felt and enjoy the creative process.

I READ... or rather, intend to read anything that is not a textbook. In anticipation of not having to study for a couple of months I made a trip to the library last week and picked out a few fiction titles. They'll kick off the bed, beach, couch and train reading I plan to do every chance I can over the coming weeks.

A huge shout out too for former work colleague and mate, Buddy Ross' illustrated children's book, Surfing the Alphabet. You can pick the book up at Surf, Dive and Ski stores, of message him directly on his Facebook page to organise a direct purchase in time for Christmas.

You Might Also Like

0 comments