GLUTEN-FREE ORANGE SYRUP CAKE

I meant to post this last weekend, but time just got away from me this week. It was eaten and consumed in a day, with pieces wrapped to trav...

I meant to post this last weekend, but time just got away from me this week. It was eaten and consumed in a day, with pieces wrapped to travel home with family and be enjoyed after dinner with a cup of tea.

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || orange syrup cake

I have made this cake so many times and I always hold my breath when tapping it out of the cake tin. I was a little impatient with this one: see that big chunk lost to the pan? I also made a blooper with the measurements. I opened a new bag of almond meal and when I went to decant it into a storage jar and return it to the cupboard there was more in the bag then there should have been. The recipe calls for 3 cups. Was it possible I'd only measured out the 1.5 cups my old measure holds? It was. Turns out though that this is much better with less almond meal. I've put my modification below. It's moist and the orange syrup really soaks through without the extra meal.

And, for those looking for gluten-free cake recipes, this is one if you make sure the baking powder is gluten-free.

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || gluten free orange syrup cake


ORANGE SYRUP CAKE

INGREDIENTS

185g butter
1 tablespoon orange rind, finely grated
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
6 eggs
1 1/2 cups almond meal (recipe called for 3 cups)
3/4 cup desiccated coconut
3/4 cup rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

1 large orange, or 2 small ones
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup water
orange rind, as long shavings

WHAT TO DO

Beat the butter, rind and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, being carefully not to beat to much. They will curdle. Stir in the almond meal, coconut, flour and baking powder. Pop the mixture into a greased cake tin and bake for an hour. I've never cooked this in a tin that isn't a ring tin, so check the centre of your cake before you take it out of the oven. Once cooked, let it stand for about 10 minutes and turn it out.

To make the orange syrup, place the juice of a large orange, or two small ones, into a saucepan with the sugar, water and orange rind shavings. Bring up the heat but don't let it boil. Rather, allow it to simmer until the sugar has dissolved and it's syrupy and fragrant (about 5mins). Take it off the heat and allow it to cool a little. I use a tablespoon to ladle the syrup over my cake, with a baking tray underneath so I can catch the run off and spoon it back over.

Eat warm with a dollop of cream, or cold with a dollop of plain yoghurt.

You Might Also Like

2 comments