Here's how you do it all

Between being 'head down, bum up' in study and assignments, and rising early for the work commute, I'm knackered. Trying to find...

Between being 'head down, bum up' in study and assignments, and rising early for the work commute, I'm knackered. Trying to find a balance isn't easy, but making small, incremental steps toward bigger projects keeps me sane.

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || want to know how she does it

Here's how I do it.

CLEAN IN FITS AND FARTS

Carving big projects up into small chunks is the way I get through most big things. At the moment, rather than clean the house in one manic whirlwind of feather dusters, vacuum and cleaning cloths, I dust a table or shelf each time I fill a basin of hot water for washing up.

I use this essential oil on a hot, wet dust cloth to help keep the house smelling nice.

PRUNE IN PARTS

I've left secateurs where I can pick them up after hanging out a load of washing. I clip back a few tendrils here or there or pull out weeds, dropping them to mulch back into the soil.

I am clipping overgrown passionfruit, jasmine, peppermint, oregano and pulling old tomatoes.

KNIT A LINE OFF THE CHART

I treat myself to a couple of rows of an elaborate Jenny Kee picture knit after a two-hour study block. Fortunately each row's reasonably short. I might even listen to a podcast while knitting. #winning 

I am knitting myself a pair of Jenny Kee picture-knit leg warmers, as you do.

A PAGE OR TWO KEEPS YOU SMART

I read a chapter before turning off the lights each night. I make sure it's not something related to my study, and it's definitely not on a device.


A CONVERSATION WITH HEART

I  make time to see friends - it gets me out of the house or up from the desk. Online study is a pretty lonely business and I relish a chance to catch up on other people's daily life. 

My lovely friend Mandy has a podcast. We talk 'struggles' all the time. Mostly she listens to mine.

MAKE DINNER TIME AN ART

I am cooking. When there were kids at home, cooking was a creative outlet. I spent time menu planning and adapting old favourites to introduce new flavours. With the juggle of full-time study, work, visits from the grandkidlets and a house and garden to keep, cooking has again become my creative outlet.

I've made jam from a glut of green tomatoes that, with so much rain, were going to split.
I've made chutney from a glut of red tomatoes, that had already split.
I made harissa paste from a glut of chillies.
I am making yummy salads from the Arthur Street Kitchen Neighbourhood cook book.

Image source: Caspar Rubin, on Unsplash

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

You Might Also Like

3 comments