Keeping Christmas memories alive

New Christmas decorations have joined our tree this year. They're not brand new. Rather, they've seen many a Christmas before this o...

New Christmas decorations have joined our tree this year. They're not brand new. Rather, they've seen many a Christmas before this one.

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || Gran's Christmas ornaments
They're my Gran's ornaments. She passed away earlier this year and her collection of baubles was the things I asked my Dad and Aunt to save.

We often travelled to my grandparents at Christmas time and I have vivid memories of my Gran's Christmas tree. It's ornaments were strange, foreign and precious. 

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || Gran's Christmas baubles
katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || Gran's Christmas spirals
The depths of the large Cadbury tin they came to me in smells of my Gran and Pa's house. Ornaments, wrapped in tissue paper and printed paper napkins have, I imagine, survived the childhood years of my Dad and Aunt, and they'll now live here on our tree to be enjoyed by my family.

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || Gran's Christmas paper lanterns
katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com.au || Gran's Christmas angel
My Gran never spent a Christmas with my family and it meant many Christmases passed without me seeing her.

However, with our tree already up, I look at these new additions sitting among the riot of colour and tinsel - a far cry from my Gran's modest tree - and like to think we've finally welcomed her in.

You Might Also Like

1 comments