SUMMER 2015 || MY DIRTY LITTLE OP SHOP SECRET

A TRIP to the beach means throwing on a pair of togs, grabbing a hat, enough cash for a coffee or milkshake - should either take my fancy...

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || my dirty little op shop secret
A TRIP to the beach means throwing on a pair of togs, grabbing a hat, enough cash for a coffee or milkshake - should either take my fancy - sunscreen, a hat and light cover-all for sun protection and the a towel.

Over the summer, the beach kit has been thrown into a newly thrifted beach bag - a cute crocheted bag that's perfect for the beach because all the sand shakes out of it on my way back to the beach car park. In fact, all my beach kit is thrifted. The leather wallet I pop my coins into was an op shop find; the wide-brimmed hat I love because it fits snugly and won't blow down the beach with a single gust was an op shop score and still has the name of the previous owner inside. My 1970s fringed towel. Op shop. The cover-all I made to wear over my togs was made from $2 worth of fabric. Op shop.

And yes, even the togs. Op shop.  

But cossies from the op shop? Who does that? Me! It's my dirty little op shop secret.

Well, what's the issue? I do check the amount of, er, wear, before I make a purchase, any purchase. I check as much for stains under the arms as I might for how the seat of a pair of shorts has worn and it's the same with togs. It's a bonus if they've got a swing tag still hanging from them but if you think through why someone would pass on a pair of togs I think it's safe to suggest they probably weren't worn a great deal. They've either been a gift that was the wrong size; maybe even bought online and couldn't be exchanged. Perhaps the wearer loved them in the store but on the beach found them not to their liking. The owner could have changed in shape, had a bub, who knows, but there are few people who would pass over the worst of their worn wardrobe to an op shop and few op shops who would choose to damage their reputation by putting out dirty clothes or clothing unfit for use.

And, of course, with a wash at home and a good airing on the line they're close to being as good as new.

So, what's your dirty little op shop secret? 

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || thrifted crochet beach bag
#opshopfind // crochet beach bag, $4, East Gosford Vinnies

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Great summer finds Katie. I agree...after a good wash I wouldn't have a problem with this either. Perhaps my op-shop secret is wooden chopping boards. I sometimes wonder about what might have been chopped on them previously, but after a good wash and plenty of airing and drying, I have lived to tell the story! Happy Sunday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wooden chopping board is a golden score. Yes, and there are any number of tricks and remedies to clean them up. Vinegar, lemon juice. Goodness knows you can have one in your own kitchen for years and never think twice about your own kitchen hygiene.

      Delete
  2. I love that purse. I've bought enamelware from op shops and just made sure to give it a good scrub in hot soapy water. I have a chopping board that I picked up from a secondhand store as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the consensus is that a good scrub brings everything up good as new, right?

      Delete
  3. i am loving the bag and quite into well executed crotched goods.
    i'm not a big op shopper but sometimes i'll wander in and find something fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wished the op shop gods smile on me every so often but I haven't had much luck nabbing anything great lately. I've always thought shoes were a bit weird to buy from the op shop but I got over that when I managed to buy a great pair of shoes during a weekend stay in Terrigal once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all your op shop finds, can't think of my best one at the moment although Charlotte my daughter has been scoring well lately in the converse type shoe department which she loves. I might have to pick your brain soon as Charlotte and I are thinking of doing a op shop tour one Saturday up your way in between sporting seasons

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking about beaches is making me chilly sitting in the warm at my computer! But to dream of a summer, I have to say a crochet bag is SUCH a good idea for the beach, why did that never occur to me? Going to look out for one! :D

    I have to say I've never bough a swim suit or pants (UK meaning, er, knickers? lol) but I've got shoes that are used before, and bed sheets- after all you just wash them on hot. Oh and tights! But they've never been used before, so... :D I wouldn't say no if I did find the perfect thing in a charity shop though. I'm not too fussy- you can wash anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a good wash sorts most things out, right?

      Delete
  7. Such good finds, all of them! I remembered that I have bought a full piece from an op shop before - a vintage brown and white triumph number. I'm still deciding whether it is to short in the torso for me (or if I feel too nanna-ish...?! but who's kidding, there is much nanna-ishness about my general aesthetic...). I found a navy and white version of the same print on etsy for something like $70. Op shop gold, eh?!

    ReplyDelete