December 31, 2013

DECEMBER 2013... I'VE DONE IT

katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || new christmas toys to play with
katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || the christmas pavlova
katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || sarah made the sangria
katiecrackernuts.blogspot.com || decorations brought home from nepal
THE last day of 2013. There's a pavlova in the oven for tomorrow's New Year's Day celebrations. The cicadas are singing, the skies are blue, the beach beckons but it'll have to wait until this evening. I have mangoes to deseed and make into a mango curd with the leftover egg yolks from the pavlova - oh, and there's washing up to do. Always washing up.

Happy New Year. I look forward to reading your 2014 op shopping, cooking, crafting and digging in the garden adventures.

I READ: Many a lovely Christmas card. I sent out a handful and will keep writing New Year cards to all those I didn't manage to get a card to. Christmas kind of snuck up on us this year.

I WENT TO: My work colleague, friend and fellow blogger's farewell. Bohdana is off to expand her career horizons and I couldn't be more pleased. It's a perfect job for her and I love seeing people strive for new things and new ideas. Good luck BS.

I LISTENED TO: This year's ABC Radio National Boyer Lectures series. Outgoing GG Quentin Bryce gave this year's lectures and forget all the hub bub about her supporting gay marriage - it's a small comment said of fairness and of a respect for human rights. Listen to the whole series. It made me cry. She's a mighty fine woman and you should listen up, there's plenty of wisdom in what she says.

I ATE: Way, way too much this Christmas. I know, I know, it's a Christmas thing, but goodness, so much food. Sarah made the sangria and hosted this year's Christmas. I made the pavlova, Cath made the trifle. There were delicious salads, home made dips and a cheese log, cheese cake, cold roasted chicken, fresh bread rolls hot from the Vietnamese baker. So much food.

I SAW: The Sydney David Jones Christmas windows. It's a guilty pleasure to walk down from my city work office and stand outside and gape with all the children. I am as fascinated as they are. I visited the windows at night too, when they're lit. The reflection in those little faces. It's well worth a visit if you're ever feeling a little bit of the Grinch creep in at Christmas time.

I MADE: I didn't so much make, I mended. I took the hems up on two pairs of pants that have been pinned and sitting in my washing basket for weeks and I took the darning needle to a childhood doll of mine. Silverfish, oh how they had damaged her.

3 comments:

  1. So Poppet Hill led me to Closet Case Files which in turn led to By Hand London AND the amazing Elisalex Dress! Looks like sewing in on the cards for me as well in 2014. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie for dropping by, Happy New Year to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree totally with your sentiments about Quentin Bryce...fantastic lady. Look forward to reading your posts in 2014....happy new year.

    ReplyDelete