THIS CRAFT ACTIVITY IS A DANGER TO YOUR CHILDREN

I HAD cake this week, two in fact, both of them home made  One of them had birthday candles, which I duly blew out. Now, had I been...

I HAD cake this week, two in fact, both of them home made  One of them had birthday candles, which I duly blew out.

Now, had I been six, and not the ripe old age of 39, there’d have been only store-bought cake, no candles and certainly no blowing out. Let’s be honest, if the cake showed any sign of being near a peanut, there’d have been no cake at all.

Now, I do appreciate there are many, many children – and adults too –with allergies to peanuts, milks, tomatoes, citrus… the list goes on, but it’s one thing to cater to an individual’s diet, it’s another thing to ban home made cakes entirely.

You may have noted a recent news report early last month on new childcare hygiene rules that have banned the blowing out of candles lest it spread disease. This week News Limited followed with a story that, I think, really does take the cake – literally.


I can't tell you how wild this makes me and not just because I think a parent should be allowed to indulge in the generous act of bringing a home made cake to share. 

I am a Girl Guide leader and as a volunteer adult giving up my time for young girls and women, I know that to buy cakes and craft supplies means I will be passing on the costs to parents and the rising costs of my programs may mean some girls miss out altogether.

Girl Guide leaders are very, very good at running camps and weekly activities on a very small amount of money (a program I ran for 110 girls last weekend was costed at 55c a head). I am sure child care and preschool workers are equally as thrifty.

Who - institution or parent - can afford store-bought cakes and craft supplies?

Honestly, what can we do? I am seriously thinking of a craft revival based on egg cartons and toilet rolls. If this stuff was uber-chic and on-trend and every kid wanted it, surely then it'd be allowed.


Image source: Cheap Crafty Mumma


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. hate to say...it's our local council, too, with the cake policy! (watch the pointy edges on the loo roll snake, there) ;)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww this is adorable! I'll need to pass it onto my Mam for the kids at her nursery!


    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is crazy isn't it! I am a kindergarten teacher, and know who difficult it is at the best of times to get and keep families engaged in your program. The new restrictions will make it even less so. We use a "fake cake" for blowing out the candles, but if a child does bring their own cake (getting rarer and rare) I put the candles into the real deal! I attended some training on Sat about Anaphyalaxis - it seems the next thing to be banned will be egg cartons and any packing that has housed products that may have traces of nuts and milk and egg. Looks like that will be the end of recycled box collage and pasting as we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hayley @mylemonayde.blogspotMarch 04, 2013

    It is very sad that our children are missing out on these experiences, I know that we need to protect our children with allergies but do we need to go that far and have every child miss out. Not fair! Anyway I love your snake, I will try this with my youngest. Surely there are no traces of peanut on toilet rolls are there. Ha Ha. H x

    ReplyDelete
  5. go the dunny roll craft!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a different experience this week where I (the parent of the anaphylactic to eggs and peanuts child) asked the preschool to retract their broadcast email and not deny other children the right to bring a boiled egg/egg sandwich/egg products for lunch just because MY daughter is the allergic one. I am totally for the 'No Nuts Policy' in our schools/preschools however as a parent I need to cater alternate options for my allergic child when these celebrations occur in the school environment, and at 3 years of age she is very aware of what she can/can't eat due to her allergies (I think she kind of likes the fact she gets a Freddo when they have cake - she is not so keen on cake anyway). I am also the mother of a non-allergic, non-eczema, non-asthma child who enjoys baking and thoroughly enjoy the process of taking baked items for her to share with her friends at primary school. I understand both sides of this dilemma and although I want my allergic child to be kept medically safe in the school environment where does it stop?? Cool snake...

    ReplyDelete