FEBRUARY 2013... I'VE DONE IT

CAN you believe it's autumn? The photo was taken last year. It's sat among my stills from a walk I did down near my parents'...

CAN you believe it's autumn? The photo was taken last year. It's sat among my stills from a walk I did down near my parents' place when the air was cooler and you'd come indoors to the smell of my mother's soup, her baking and hot pots of tea. I'd like to say I could create the same at my place right now but it's busy here. Work is busy. I was in Canberra this week and will be again in a fortnight's time. We're counting down to stepdaughter No.2's wedding and there's been a run of birthday celebrations. I'm hoping by Easter I can join the slowing season, prepare my neglected garden for winter and maybe even get the needle and thread out to revive a few pieces from my winter wardrobe.

IN FEBRUARY…

I READ: Good friend and former colleague Susanna Freymark’s debut novel Losing February. I think host of ABC Radio National program Life Matters, Natasha Mitchell, summed it up best. She said something like it tugs at the 'stitches of our own wounds'. It certainly pulled at many of mine. 

I WENT TO: Girl Guide camp. There were more than 200 girls aged between 7 and 15 on a site in western Sydney the weekend before last. If you’re a Sydneysider you’ll know that weekend was a wet one with a wild storm on the Saturday night. The girls loved it. The leaders? We were shattered wrecks.

I LISTENED TO: OK, more podcasts. This time ABC Radio National programming The Snappers and The Gentleman’s Club, both aired on Hindsight. Anyone with an interest in old-school journalism will like either. I’m going to be politically incorrect and add anyone with an interest in "old-school feminism" will also like the second one.

I ATE: My bodyweight in quesadilla at Mexico Food and Liquor, in Surry Hills. I can recommend all versions on the menu. I did say my body weight.

I SAW: Again with the work viewing. Cold Chain Mission is, for want of a better name, a travel documentary fronted by UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Ewan McGregor. McGregor follows UNICEF vaccinators in India, Nepal and Congo to immunise children in seriously remote locations. The Cold Chain refers to the route that’s taken to ensure vaccinations stay cool to remain effective. The first part of the series aired on SBSOne last week and be seen on SBS On Demand. The second part is tonight at 8.30pm.

You Might Also Like

2 comments