HANG IT ALL OUT THERE? YOU DON'T NEED TO

LAST week I wrote about   the "Things I Don't Want to Tell You" meme. What I left out was, of the two authors I mentioned, b...



LAST week I wrote about the "Things I Don't Want to Tell You" meme. What I left out was, of the two authors I mentioned, both admitted their blogs were on the peachy side of keen.

"I think it's human nature to want to shine the best light upon ourselves and I confess to being afraid of showing you the mundane and ordinary sides of life," Ez wrote.

Jaclyn's post said much the same. "You don't get to see the dusty corners, dirty dishes, days when I'm homesick and feeling sorry for myself…," she said.

It's not just Jaclyn and Ez though, there are others musing over their peachy-keen posts. 

A couple of week's ago Pip noticed high-profile bloggers and media personalities divorcing themselves from polite chit chat and freely baring all;  and, in my own neck of the woods, Emily aired her own "dirty" linen – so to speak. 

But, I'm a little contrary, so I’m going to go out on a limb and say: so what if you want to keep it peachy?

I liken blogging to an old-school family photo album – preferably the spiral-backed ones that fall apart several decades later. 

In those albums of old there are no photos of the almighty row that preceded the tent finally going up. Nor is there a photo essay of the travel-sick child who has vomited by the side of the road for the umpteenth time. There's no happy snap of a teen child holding up the fourth truancy letter home this year. Nope. They’re not there. Why would they be? They’re part of family lore and that’s enough. 

When I started blogging I did it for me. I needed a creative kick up the arse: a way to hold myself accountable. I needed to pick up a camera again, to write like someone was reading my words (quite different from my journal, written for me, or my professional work) and to occasionally draw, sew, make baskets and pull prints. The little band of readers was a bonus, a huge serendipitous no-backing-out-now bonus.

Blogging offered a richness to my creative pursuits that I could never have imagined and, to people who ask me whether they should dive in; I tell them wholeheartedly, yes.

But, hang it all out there? No, I don’t think you need to.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I soooo with you on this!

    I have no intention of ever airing my dirty laundry or confessing deep dark secrets on my blog, just as I'd never do that in polite company either.

    When I began blogging, it was to show and tell my crafty endeavours, and to this day, it still fulfills that purpose. I've even added a little statement to my header 'it's just about the craft', in case anyone thought I should be turning it into a personal diary.

    The blogs I like to read are like that too. If I want to be depressed, I'll read the newspaper, not blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, there may not be a line long enough for my dirty laundry...I write a craft blog...with occassional forays into broken toilets, naughty teenagers etc but essentially a craft blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I think honesty is a good thing and I try to be honest on my blog. I do try to share what I think might be helpful to someone else. But I don't want to share the snakes in my head. Those really don't need to get out in the world. There's enough venom out there already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've tried to keep it real and not over share but even then ive been burnt and cause family ructions.
    I really resented that i had to think twice about everything i blogged and felt i couldn't blog anything without it being taken the wrong way or used in some way.
    Thus my blog has fallen into neglect :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow wee, what a great topic. I am all for the folk who do show all and respect and appreciate their generosity and honesty. I am not drawn to anyone style of blog and visit pretty widely. On those days when I am feeling a bit blue and a bit overwhelmed, I find some solace in those who do bare it all - often with a dose of wry humour. Other days I just trawl through all those pretty, up beat, inspiring and just happy everyday blogs. I myself, tend to stick to the sunnier side of the street. My blog is my little place that I can decorate how I want, celebrate and remember the best moments of a day and bring in whatever shades take my fancy (usually early morning and late afternoon sun)- different to my generally happy but busy life with family, work and home and all the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Above all us to be happy you have to take care of yourself. Your health is the only happiness you have that isn't based on the external world. If you have your health everything else will work out. I think it's good to also blog and journal. I think drawing and other creative work can be helpful to be happy but you always first need to take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete