STOPPING TO LET NEW IDEAS SETTLE

ARE we bloggers tuned to think the same things at the same time, or is just because you’re thinking about it, you tend to mentally bo...


ARE we bloggers tuned to think the same things at the same time, or is just because you’re thinking about it, you tend to mentally bookmark the posts that resonate with some inner dialogue?

This week Suse, of Pea Soup; Bron, of Maxabella Loves; and, Leonie, of Cuppa and Cake, all posted about work/life balance. No moaning or groaning, just their reflections on the subject of being, or, in Bron's case, no longer being, a working mum.

I'm a working parent but, hell, let me say there are some days I just wish I wasn't. I mean, don’t we all? And I don't mean just the working part, Lord knows there are some days I could happily ditch the parent bit. I'd go as far as saying it's crossed my mind the couple thing may have worn a bit thin too.

I know of myself I do everything at full speed and have high expectations of both myself and the people around me. So, like anything going flat out, the wheels get up a speed wobble and if the brakes aren't applied the wheels fall off.

Long story short, I applied the brakes and unplugged myself from the family routine this week to house sit for a friend. And, honestly, I am a danger to myself sometimes because the minute I said I'd do it, I almost rang my very generous friend back – a woman willing to give me the run of her house – to withdraw. I instantly felt guilty and selfish about being absent from my family and started dragging out calendars with appointments and dates of things I had to do and wondered how I'd make it all work.

With the help of my partner it has kind of worked and even where it hasn't, it's cleared a little head space to think about how I live my life as me, as a working woman, as a parent and a partner. Oh, and Amy's post on Sweet, Sweet Life helped get things in perspective too.

I imagine there are times you're looking for answers or new ideas and if you're open to them, the right ones seem to settle on you.  Or maybe it's that you settle on them. I'm not sure. Either way, with a little time away and a few bloggy pearls of wisdom, I feel lighter and things brighter.

You Might Also Like

9 comments