WANTED: ONE CAVE TO HIDE FLABBY SELF

THE pumpkin pie filling from my last post was made from the same homegrown pumpkin I made Stephanie Alexander's pumpkin, coconut and ...

Stephanie Alexander's pumpkin, coconut and seafood soup

Stephanie Alexander's pumpkin, coconut and seafood soup

THE pumpkin pie filling from my last post was made from the same homegrown pumpkin I made Stephanie Alexander's pumpkin, coconut and seafood soup from her Kitchen Garden Companion cookbook. It was just as pictured, which always gives me a thrill. I even added the seared scallops.

My only problem is I used the whole pumpkin for the soup and pie filling and have a spare batch of pie filling in the fridge begging to be made up into something delicious - and artery-clogging, no doubt. Why is it we want buttery, carb-laden goodness when the weather turns cold? I don't need the padding. I'm not a bear and there's no cave. That said, I may need one to hide in by the time summer rolls around.

Nadia if you're as much a fan of pumpkin soup as you say you are, I'd recommend this one. The Asian flavours give it a real kick.

Rachel, you always know just the right thing to say but I assure you, we're as manic as every blended, working, studying, walking-the-dog family.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Fab food finds in your last few posts. I adore pumpkin in any form. I say go the buttery, pastry-laden stuff in the cold months. I'm aiming for a French style pear tart this weekend. Now if that doesn't thicken the arteries nothing will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of cholesterol, I think the doctor told me this week to eat yellow and orange food to help lower it. So, even though it might add to the carbs, pumpkin pie is healthy for you.
    I'm sure I heard the doctor say that....
    Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious, Katie. Surely soup can't be THAT bad, no? Yes? (Not knowing is probably why I have the other blog 40 Skinny St about losing weight, right!?!)

    I love that you rave on as much as I do in the comments. It's a real conversation that we have, which is really what it's all about.

    Enjoy that soup and that AMAZING pie (don't let my hub see that pork pie recipe or I'm doomed)!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I know just what you mean. I spent yesterday eating biscuits, butter-laden bread and pizza in vast quantities (all homemade, she says smugly, but still!)
    Now, I don't know what you're worried about with this delectable pumpkin number though - pumpkin is a vegetable, right? Ergo, you should eat as much of it as possible, even if it's in soup or pie form. Mmmmm, pie...
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, carb city over here as well. combine wintery weather with a few days single parenting and you get a bucket load of pasta and toast served up for every meal. bluurrggghhhh.

    ReplyDelete