SHAKE, GRIND ... NEVER YOU MIND

I’M already over the spring cleaning . I’d settle for my house remaining clean(ish) and more than that, tidy. With two adult children livin...


I’M already over the spring cleaning. I’d settle for my house remaining clean(ish) and more than that, tidy. With two adult children living at home, a teen and a partner focused on end-of-year uni exams – all in a smaller than the average modern home space – I spend a lot of time picking things up and returning them to a rightful(ish) place.

The kitchen, in particular, is small and the dining table my only space to spread out the paperwork and blog from.

I cracked last week and at a time normal people start winding down for the night I pulled out buckets, cleaning product and the step ladder to wipe down the top of kitchen cupboards, throw out anything in the pantry past its use-by date and whittle down the multiple containers of flours, pastas, rice and sugars. It was a messy, grotty but ultimately satisfying job.

Best of all, I found a spot for my op-shopped salt shaker and pepper grinder. In fact, it wouldn’t be too far a stretch to suggest the entire kitchen overhaul was about finding a place for the $2, 1970s-style shaker and grinder. Say what you like, I’m not apologising. OK.

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. There is never a good time to clean the top of the cupboards, they are looking good now though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the placement of the salt is obviously important in everyday you. They may say, Nuts, I say practical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is extremely important to clean the tops of the cupboards so that the new salt and pepper shaker will feel at home. Go you. I'd settle for tidy here too. I waste far too many crafting hours tidying up after people in my tiny cottage too. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that last cheeky comment was from me not my sleeping son. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's not that important in the grand scale of things.....but it's amazing how good it feels when it's done....isn't it....?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're cleaning kitchen cupboards? C'mon that counts as spring cleaning! (Or does that just reflect badly on my housekeeping?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring cleaning, purging, whatever you want to call it, I think it IS immensely satisfying. Enjoy your newfound space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, what a great post.

    I find that when I decide to clean, I really need to clean and will go 'all out'. As you say though, even though it causes short term chaos, ultimately it's incredibly satisfying.

    There's nothing better than finding the perfect place for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a very tasty shelf! Seems to be missing a jar of fountain sauce>?

    ReplyDelete