MOVE OVER HONEY, I'LL TAKE THE LEAD

DID you know I have a new job? It's in the fast and furious online news environment and this weekend I've worked election copy like...


DID you know I have a new job? It's in the fast and furious online news environment and this weekend I've worked election copy like nobody's business. When you're in the thick of reporters filing copy, photographers loading galleries, ensuring headlines are search engine-friendly, updating tally room results and manning multiple masthead pages, posting Facebook updates and keeping Twitter accounts fed, you're all about minutia. It's only this afternoon I've stuck my head up and over a screen and gone, holy crappola, we've got a hung Parliament. We're neither "moving forward" or stopping anything: waste, boats, whatever.

I'm not going to bleat on about the election - you've got your online news reporters to do that - I wanted to share my weekend with you. A couple of months ago I wasn't sure about the future of my career in print media. Today I can't believe, through a series of events so extraordinary I could only describe them as fated, I have breathed new life into a rapidly stagnating career - by choice, but that's another story. What can I say, it feels good. Sure, the job's not perfect, I have just worked extraordinary hours for little to no compensation, but like a couple of other Central Coast girls done good, namely illustrator Caitlin Shearer and vintage vixen Nicole Warne I've stoked the career fire, my irons are in and I'll be working hard to get the best of what I deserve. So excuse me please while I elbow my way to the front of that queue.
Illustration: Caitlin Shearer

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Glad you are feeling happy! What a night BTW, I think I was reading some of your work last night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and we are still left waiting for the election results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go girl! I love a take-charge career attitude!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's going to be a long week!
    elbow away & make sure you get the best you can.
    get some sleep, tomorrow will definitely be another long day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds quite exhilirating! It's great when work becomes more than just a job isn't it? There's sure to be lots of hard-work ahead in the coming days and weeks but sometimes it's good to be right in the rough and tumble of life isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Katie! I'm really happy for you, it feels good to be recognised for your talents & put those well honed skills to use.
    congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well it does sound like your irons are red hot and you are one fire! Great work ms krackernuts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely belong at the front of the line. Elbow away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new job and for surviving that election!! Maybe they're going to do it all over again = eeeek! Love Caitlin's work - she is such a talented wee thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How exciting for you to have such a change! Change feels SO good, even if it's not "perfect", the change itself makes up for it, hey? Good luck to you, I hope you grow to love it more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so fantastic that you've got something you're really enjoying. I am a bit jealous that you get to work in amongst the buzz though!

    ReplyDelete