BOUGHT ME SOME TIME (AKA "A CLEANER")

HANDS up if you have a cleaner? Ah, I thought so. Since I started hunting about for a cleaner a few weeks ago I’ve learned many of you al...




HANDS up if you have a cleaner? Ah, I thought so. Since I started hunting about for a cleaner a few weeks ago I’ve learned many of you already have one or have thought about employing one. Here was me wrestling with my guilt and flaying myself for not being able to manage all life throws at us, and now a near-to four-hour daily commute, to boot.

It would seem almost every working woman I’ve asked about a cleaner either has one, has had one, or wants the heads up should I find one. Well I did find a cleaner and thus far it’s been a dream. The bathroom sparkled just the way I like it to sparkle and the floors were vacuumed AND mopped. I didn’t ask for them to be mopped, my cleaner did it to fill in the two hours I’d contracted her for. Bless her. No, really. Bless her.

Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t just come into money ... my new job has come with a small pay rise but it barely covers the cost of my weekly commute. It’s true, I did feel all bourgeois and la-dee-da at the thought of contracting a cleaner but let me tell you, if thinking about taking on a cleaner, there’s an underground network of working women discreetly passing slips of handwritten phone numbers and a name, usually only a first name, to female colleagues and girlfriends. I had no idea. You are not alone.

So, in the time this weekend I haven’t spent scrubbing tiles and vacuuming and mopping, I’ve made dinner for friends, whipped up a meal in advance for through the week, baked, arranged flowers for the living rooms and generally nested. Yes, I could have done those other pesky chores myself, but, oh, not to have them hanging over me on a weekend has been well worth the dosh spent.

Do tell, are you part of the underground network of working women, or men for that matter, who have handed over cash for household chores and a break from domestic duties?

You Might Also Like

24 comments

  1. Not a member but dream of becoming one, one day soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a cleaner is the best thing you can ever do. What takes you 4 hours to clean yourself (because it's a complete drag), is done in two, and you can just enjoy your weekend, instead of staring at the floor and thinking about how dirty it is.
    If you can get a good cleaner, they're worth their weight in gold. I've only had three cleaners over the past ten years (continuously). The first one for about 5 years until she retired, and the second one for about three years.
    My current one isn't very good at dusting, so I'd actually forgotten that bedheads get dusty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope never had one but I've been one. And I can completely see the sense in having one if you can afford it. No more quick wipes until next time. It all gets done in one hit and the lady of the house can have peace to be a normal person. If you have one like CurlyPops you have a right to complain and ask for the work to be improved or find a new one. If I had the money I would hire a lawnmower man simply because it makes sense to unstress ones life if possible. Good on you for being a little bourgeois! Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, and been a member for nearly a decade, and had the grand total of two cleaners.
    So worth the money. The time it takes me to clean, like someone mentioned, for starters, but also if I went on my hourly work pay rate and the time it took me, I could never afford it! And like you said, there are better ways to spend my weekend. It's cheaper to pay someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Previously I've been lucky enough to convince Mr Golightly that our time is better spent, but finding a good, reliable one who doesn't break things & not tell you is the hardest part... I'd love to know how you found yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could do with one right now! I gave her up when we moved to the country 6 months ago.

    I found the best thing was that I had to tidy everything away before the cleaner came. So the house was both clean AND tidy once a fortnight.

    Best money spent I say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds ideal but I don't have the guts to hire a cleaner to tackle my horrid mess... last night I started putting some photos in albums - the photos were from 1995.
    So you can possibly imagine that I'm not great at being clutter-free and don't know how anyone else would go at cleaning up my act!! But am still envious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a few friends with house cleaners. Some chose to do it to help save time, others to save their relationships. A great idea I think, I hope to have one one day too :)

    P.S. Thanks so much for your sweet comments about my colouring book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. My hand is up. We've had one for about a year and it is bliss. We both work full time so we consider having a cleaner to be an investment in our relationship. It is worth ever cent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please email me her details right away. I need her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJuly 05, 2010

    I'm not god.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want one but I think I would have to do a huge clean up first as I'd be too embarrassed to have her clean my house

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO WANT A CLEANER - very jealous reading your post! My boy isn't so keen on the idea (keeps saying, 'We'll just SHARE it and it'll be done in no time!' Yeah, right like that ever happens on a Saturday morning!) but once we've paid some debts off, I'm going to start bringing it up again. I've already told my mum if I ever have a baby a good present would be a cleaner for 6 months. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clever, clever chook. Trust you remembered to do the self backpatting during the weekend nesting hours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely - and I think it's a great thing to be able to give someone a regular source of income. Our cleaner is just better at cleaning and I could never do it as well as she does and I make sure I tell her that just about every time she comes around - I ring her mobile and say thanks for being so great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i would love to buy me some time just like this : )
    after reading all the other comments i think i may seriously consider.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo! I think having a cleaner is really money well spent! I don't have one myself as yet but we did hire one to clean our flat before we vacated it and I can tell you that that was worth every single penny and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my after reading your post and comments, i had now idea cleaners where so popular or there is an underground club of contacts. right now i feel filthy and guilty for being on the net when really my bathroom needs a good scrub and the floor is due for a mop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh yeah - I'm dreaming of one - I think I posted about cleaners and my torrid history way back but here I am again - dreaming...
    enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i wish!! actually my house is pretty easy to clean and both hubby and i tackle our housechores each week so far we do ok on our own...the chore i hate the most is ironing, if I could pay someone to do something it would be that!! haha...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good on you.
    I can't think of anyone who can think of more interesting - and creative - ways to spend their time.
    Enjoy.
    Time is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. AnonymousJuly 16, 2010

    I truly love you Louise Alice Francis and you felt that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not God and God is good and I only obey God.

    ReplyDelete