MASTER CHEF, I AM NOT

FROM a cooking success story to a failure. Oh, go on, like you didn’t know there were more failures than successes. When you feed a fam...



FROM a cooking success story to a failure. Oh, go on, like you didn’t know there were more failures than successes. When you feed a family of six – two vegetarian, one that avoids red meat (me), one that avoids vegetables and one bleating on about requiring more protein (the sixth, bless her loves her food) – you do get told in no uncertain terms about the failures. Occasionally, there might be a few muttered, in low tones mind you, “that was all right”, when things meet the critics’ approval. This muffin recipe didn’t even make it through to the keeper. Though it irked me, all 12 of them went straight to the bin. OK, 11. I just couldn’t admit defeat.

The recipe was from my 1959 edition of the Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook. The Chicago-based institute won’t have my application any time soon.

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. they look all good in the pic, was it a texture or a flavour fail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon it's a good rule of thumb to be wary of recipes with accompanying black and white imagery - and the inclusion of broiled tripe anywhere in the index.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all have our failures..luckily we have chookies to throw them to :)
    try another recipe, two out of three maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my grandmother taught me that a good old fashioned trifle will hide a multiple of sins when it comes to baking failures (of the sweet kind)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just visiting again and noticed your op shop challenge list... is that still happening? Practically my whole wardrobe is from op shops so I'd love to play! Also when I read the post from that story you mentioned Peppermint mag... proud to say I'm Miss Sew & Sew!! (or did you know that already?) http://stylewilderness.blogspot.com/2010/06/batik-baby-ye-ah.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like we share a similar style family. That's why I handed the cooking reins over to my 22 year old. No more ;what's for dinner' questions for me. I just couldn't cope with the failure level. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you use cup measurements? They are diff in the USA. Good thing you are not baking sweet treats anymore but excercizing Maybe I will follow suit....( not till after I give your jam slice a try)

    ReplyDelete