KNOT FUNNY

IF I was to say I have been scouring op-shops for macrame plant hangers, you’d say I was nuts, wouldn't you. It started when late las...



IF I was to say I have been scouring op-shops for macrame plant hangers, you’d say I was nuts, wouldn't you.

It started when late last year I found a book with DIY old-school macrame decor. Then I went to Samoa in October and fell in love with the shell art chandeliers. But you know, they’re shell and it’s not a good idea to buy shell. Go on, you know what happened next? I found one in an op-shop. $20 Wing Wangs. How could I leave it there? Now I want macrame hangers. It’s not fair that I saw modern versions on Design Sponge, made in Melbourne by Small Town, no less.

I did find this knotted jute shopping bag at the monthly car boot sale for $1. It's hanging with another piece of late 1960s or '70s West German pottery, found for $8 at the same sale.

It’s all fuelling a strange thing I have going on for 1970s decor. Stop me now.

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. I saw quite a bit of West German pottery at Camberwell market recently and thought of you! There does seem to be a bit of 70s interior fever going round...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man...70s interiors combined with old school Katies. Niiice...

    Secretly loving but not admitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous finds, don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you seen Danielle Proud's book House Proud? It has the best most easy to follow make macrame section.

    Love love love the pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i remember gran teaching me macrame when i was little, i made a brown wall hanging. good work on the shell art chandeliers! it's so nice when the universe rewards a good deed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. See the jute bag I have no problem with but the pottery...eeekkk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE those plant hangers. It makes me think of our house in the early 80's. I think they had wooden beads in them? Nice. Classy.

    What plants to you put in them? I think we had some sort of succulents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember learning macrame at school when I was little. I made pot holders and wall hangings. I was quite into it for a while - that and those pull thread hessian placemats. Does anyone remember those?

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have just reminded me that i bought a macrame plant hanger in perfect nick for 50¢ at my local markets. now just where did i pack?

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow here's a lot of hot stuff !!
    I love this blog :D

    I'm a fashion photographer.
    visit by blog to see my archive :D

    http://streetfsn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!! I just found you! Fellow Australian through an American's blog (the Sart)!!

    LOVE your blog!... I dress according to your 1 degree decree... style doesn't have to come at a price. Nor does it have to cost.

    theDUSKzone

    ReplyDelete
  12. just please don't use those avacado 70's greens!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great jute bag! I love 60s and 70s decor ... especially the sort of decor you can find in thrift stores now and are much more authentic than what's selling new at outrageous prices.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ace finds! Thanks for your offer of patches, I don't have your email address but would love to get some so that I can get started on a blanket, that would be so awesome! And I return I will look out for macrame hangers for you! My address is Allison at Lark, 4a Duke St, Daylesford Vic 3460 Yippee! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's fun having something definite on your wishlist, so exciting when you finally find it! I shall be keeping an eye out for all things macrame for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so funny and very familiar. I have been inexplicably after a macrame plant holder for a while now. I asked my friend who has a retro shop if she had come across any. I was in luck she has one in the shop that hasn't had any takers since it's arrival about 6 months - looks like we are at the very start of the new wave. Goodluck with the search!!!!

    ReplyDelete