NESTING INSTINCT

MY partner found this walking the dog last week. It had been spied at eye height in a turpentine tree in bushland near where we live befo...




MY partner found this walking the dog last week. It had been spied at eye height in a turpentine tree in bushland near where we live before Christmas. We think the nesting bird laid eggs and abandoned them and this week the nest, partially decayed, dropped from the tree and was brought home for the family to inspect. It’s held together with spider web and we’re still deciding whether the moss and lichen adorning the exterior were for decoration – some kind of mating display – insulation or handy construction materials.

The feathers? They’re part of a collection I am amassing. They’re everywhere. Tucked behind notes on the notice board, in diaries, in my sketchbook, in a tray of my rings and bracelets, in vases – I even added feathers to a quasi-funeral bouquet late last year. I’ve been keeping an eye out for just the right flat-ish bowl or basket to hold them all. Something organic, muted tones, second-hand – I’ll know it when I find it.

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. what a precious find, such a work of art to behold. what clever birds u all are! i hope u can find a way to display the nest - haning with fishing wire somewhere? LOVE the feather collection, perfect combo of your apparant love for fashion and nature. looking forward to seeing them in 'that bowl'. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thing of beauty, so nice that it's found a home rather than being left to fall apart. I can picture candles in it out on a deck or something, or would that be a fire hazard!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful nest! We have a few but they get used in play and are rather the worse for wear. We have a feather collector back in my blog someweher I think I showed it but not sure where - a piece of wood with holes drilled in it so they can all be displayed - we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We think we are so superior to these little creatures, but look at the detail & skill involved in the construction of that little nest. so beautiful!
    Leah B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great nest! I am a bit of a collector but have not seen one like this - so well crafted like an object of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an terrific find. It's just so perfect and neat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a treasure!! Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, think finding a nest is something quite special... how wonderful to be so in tune with your natural surrounds to know even some of it's history.
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow that is one gorgeous nest!
    would love to see more of the feather collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooo lovely! A bird's nest is a very special thing indeed - my heart always does a leap when I spy one in a tree!

    ReplyDelete