THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS

MUCH of what I buy at the op shop is retail therapy. It’s stuff that makes me happy. Cheap thrills - literally. Sure, I have a functional ...



MUCH of what I buy at the op shop is retail therapy. It’s stuff that makes me happy. Cheap thrills - literally. Sure, I have a functional and "creative" wardrobe of clothes, shoes and accessories, but other stuff – like colourful doilies – are just for fun. When we do need something for the house though, it is invariably sourced from an op shop. Such was the case when I went sniffing about recently for some casserole dishes. This Australian-made Pyrex dish was $4.50. The face washers were $1 each. They’re brand new and some lovely nana has crocheted them, no doubt so the new owner would have “something nice”. It makes your heart sing to think of that small act of kindness. Bless ya stranger.

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Great buy on the pyrex!! The face washers are really cute too!
    Nice work!
    Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hearing you! Op Shops are my retail therapy too - I hang out for the Sunday markets round our way too - and the fact it's all recycled and saved makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Sure it may be hard convincing some on the use of a plastic in the shape of a bunch of celery - but hey ... what ever blows your hair back in the wind, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wash cloths, I have some here to, they are so hard to find!!! Great pick ups, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've gotta love a face washer that's had a bit of Granny pimping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you most of our bits and bobs come from the oppy. I love looking through all of the nana made tresures that have been patiently created or have been given a second life. Sometimes I have a heartfelt reaction when I find a particularly ornate coaster or cross stiched gingham table cloth.
    P.S. that little fork in my last post is inscribed with Albany and features a beaut red wattle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. crochet habit forming? i'm watching you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a good op shopper you are too! love the little edges on the face washers, my nana does this : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, well, retail therapy of the best kind. And its patently obvious the gods have been smiling down upon you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice find
    http://nycrunfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds! What exactly is an OP shop? A charity shop like Oxfam or Shelter Shop in the UK? We hardly see them here in France and I do so love a good rummage. Luckily we have flea markets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I know what you eman about the rush of a great & meaningful bargain! And bless Nana ... it's a shame that craft is dying out :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I am a pyrex addict, it's getting out of control! I love the doilies and the knit teapot in the newer post, op shopping rocks!

    ReplyDelete