FASHION HISTORY 101

I HAD a good op shopping week at home just before I packed the bags and headed to Brisbane. The dress from yesterday’s post and this bag cam...





I HAD a good op shopping week at home just before I packed the bags and headed to Brisbane. The dress from yesterday’s post and this bag came home within days of each other. I spotted theblue suede Aussie-made Hollywood Bags label in a Salvos just as I was about to walk out the door empty handed. The bag was $8, but it was what I found in the bag that made it worth so much more.

The bag, unused, was still stuffed with newspapers from the Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Weekend section (when it was still a broadsheet section of the paper) and dated April 19, 1980. At the time British PM Maggie Thatcher was asking the British Olympic team to consider a boycott of the Moscow Olympics and Burt Reynolds was named the world’s highest paid actor with a $US5million salary for the film Cannonball. Good Weekend’s cover story ran a headline “An Experts Guide for Spies”: an extract from former Israeli agent Wolfgang Lotz’ 1980 book Handbook for Spies.

I love this stuff. I feel like an urban archaeologist.

You Might Also Like

2 comments