CROCHETED KITSCH

I HAVEN'T shared all the op shop goodness from my trip to Brisbane last month. Actually, I have a lot of op shop news to share, but it&...


I HAVEN'T shared all the op shop goodness from my trip to Brisbane last month. Actually, I have a lot of op shop news to share, but it'll have to wait until later in the week.

Doilies. As children, my sister and I each had a set of embroidered doilies for our dressers. I thought them kinda creepy then and though I have a few well-meant gifted doilies tucked away, I have to say, doilies don’t do it for me. Strange then I should buy this rather kitsch crocheted doily from West End Vinnies. It’s not so much the doily, it’s the ever-so-sweet pansies I like. Still, it is kitsch, and doilies are still creepy.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Can't say I'm a huge fan of doilies either. I seem to have stacks of them though, from my gran and her sisters. I can't bring myself to part with them, seems to be so much work involved in making them, so I just keep them in a bag and have a look from time to time. Silly really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pity. Still it is those who think they are creepy who give others the chance to collect by throwing out Mum/Nan's beautiful work. I have to say I still am not a huge fan of the colours of the seventies because they remind me of my early teen years. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. maybe that creepy vibe comes from the uptight precious precious way they used to be used as little mats under vases to stop the scratches. all prim and proper. i like it when crafty people think of clever ways to re-present them because they are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship. those pansies are exquisite i'm sure you will treasure this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say that I agree with Home Girl. I personally associate crochet doilies with grans and fluffy toilet seat covers, etc.. but removed from this context and displayed on walls, for example, they can look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete