THE OLD SCHOOL WAY

I WENT nuts the weekend before last and trawled JB Hi-Fi for new music. I know, I know, I could trawl online music sites, but I don’t have ...


I WENT nuts the weekend before last and trawled JB Hi-Fi for new music. I know, I know, I could trawl online music sites, but I don’t have an MP3 player (gasp), and like buying my music from a store. I like the art on the covers, the thrill of finding an artist you like has released something that’s escaped your attention or finding something new. I picked up Jen Cloher and the Endless Sea’s new release Hidden Hands, Regina Spektor’s Far, Sia’s Some People Have Real Problems and Jenny Wilson’s Hardships. The latter was an artist unknown to me, and she gets this music journo’s thumbs up.

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Alright!!! I am going to check out Jen and Jenny - love new music. I love browsing CD's - I can't get into the whole downloads thing, I'll leave that for the younger folk who sprouted up post vinyl. Our entire CD collection was stolen a while back and we have just got a JB voucher to go nuts with - will keep u posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are good friend's with jen's wife laura jean (also a beautiful musician). she plays up here occasionally (we organised a little gig at matcham hall last winter). i'll let you know when she's playing next. she grew up with daniel so they're good buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. time for my confession then. You AND I are officially the only two to inhabit the planet sans MP3 player.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sia's CD is one of my faves - love it. I also buy CDs so you're not alone there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, I'm like you too. I love the thrill of coming home with a tangible format for my music! The cover art, the liner notes, the whole package, adds to and completes the music, for me.

    I do have an mp3 but the few times I have bought music online, I've been left feeling slightly cheated and just a little dissatisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so its books AND Cds that u can't resist! didn't know music was your thing, very interesting, waht a great job. will have to sus these chicks out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy Brisbane.. I'm loving kooky Regina + Sia - 'specially "i go to Sleep" great stuff... see you at S&C in a few weeks!! eeekkk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so know what you mean re. CD shopping, my hubbie is a gadget and IT sort and most of our music these days is downloaded from the web, I miss going out buying CDs, waiting for a new album to be released, reading the sleeve...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely more of an experience browsing JB than iTunes - I love the combo of CD cover artwork, disc, songlist - the whole tangible package.

    ReplyDelete