DIRTY DEEDS DONE DIRT CHEAP

I HAVE worked long and hard for soil like this. Check out the size of that earthworm - in plentiful supply and none added by me. The mulc...




I HAVE worked long and hard for soil like this. Check out the size of that earthworm - in plentiful supply and none added by me. The mulching, the composting, the turning and sowing and harvesting. It’s paid off. Now, in the garden bed I started to make ready a few weeks ago, are carrots, radish and baby beets. The Yates seed packet suggested putting a plank of wood over the carrots to ensure even moisture distribution. Obviously, you move them once the seeds have germinated. I’ve never tried it before. Will let you know how it goes.

The Yates book pictured dates back to the 1920s. Isn’t it beautiful? Look at that typography.

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. You are a real live gardener!Look at that enormous worm! He looks pretty happy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vintage books are so gorgeous
    Gardening seems like such a lovely past time! Can't believe you could hold the worm though haha I'm a little too squeamish for that xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply wonderful. I've been dreaming of a vegie patch. Not sure how they'd go in a tub though.
    PS Love the headline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at your garden! I love that book... old books make me swoon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let us know how growing carrots that way work. I always struggle with growing carrots. Shouldn't be that hard, but mine are few and far between. I might plant some over the weekend and give your way a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to start a vegie garden, long way off though, the soil does look mighty good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a worm! he must be in heaven : )
    i want a veggie patch too but a long way off...until I have a garden, not a balcony that gets no sun ; )

    ReplyDelete