JEMIMA AND JUDY

LET me introduce to two of my besties. This is Judy, on the right, and No.1 bestie Jemima on the left. Though they don’t look a day over 12...


LET me introduce to two of my besties. This is Judy, on the right, and No.1 bestie Jemima on the left. Though they don’t look a day over 12 they’re actually getting on a bit now, closer to 30 – though they’ve asked me not to mention ages. They’ve been through a bit. Judy was knitted by my nana and even in this summer heat she has a pair of knickers - French at that - and a slip on under that dress and coat. Jemima’s better prepared for the heat with sunbonnet and a light cotton pinnie. Now, Judy was often the third wheel, but Jemima and I like to include her more these days – though I have to admit, I don’t see them as much as I used to. Jemima was the adventurer and put her hand up for every summer holiday and weekend trip away. I even helped pack a bag for her with a few nice things made by my ma. A girl’s gotta be prepared. You’d never know it to look at her, but Jemima once lost her hair (many a tear was shed) and has had her face repainted a few times – once by me. It didn’t go so well … I was not that handy with felt tips at that wee age. So there they are. Go on, what old chums have you got sitting in the cupboard?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I had a little friend like Jemima once. I have no idea where she is now. (and chance you were a play school fan?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you guessed. Actually Jemima has a tag on her that says what her real Holly Hobbie name was and I can't even remember it. I was too shocked to learn she had another name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a Jemima too!

    Such a lovely story and it's so great that you still have them, I wish I had kept mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. judy is sporting some lovely eyelashes there and jemima is so perfectly retro. my chrissy doll is a hard baby doll, with eyes that shut when u lie her down and hair that i butchered. she is now in the hands of the boys - poor chrisy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have my original teddy bear from when I was a baby. He has lovely fur now a little thin in place and a half falling off ear. He has a repaired arm and used to growl when you turned him over. He was made by Australian company Verna and despite his wear and tear could be worth more than $100 to collectors, my research has revealed. But to me he's just priceless...I'll never part with him. I've also got a gollywog and one of the three bears knitted by my nana to which I am very sentimental about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a Holly Hobby doll exactly the same as your Jemima. I still have her somewhere too... packed away in the atic I suspect.

    ReplyDelete