A DAYS WALK

ONCE upon a time if you’d asked how far it was to a neighbour’s house you may have been told it was a days walk. Let me tell you, that’s a l...


ONCE upon a time if you’d asked how far it was to a neighbour’s house you may have been told it was a days walk. Let me tell you, that’s a long way. I signed up for an eight-hour bushwalk on Saturday. It was just shy of 20kms. I got tired and then I got cranky. Then I got sore feet and sore legs and finally, after a 15 minute march up a very, very steep hill, I got a sore butt and ridiculously sweaty. Then it rained. It’s no wonder people didn’t bother with their neighbours. The Gymea lilies made up for it. Oh, and this all took place in Yengo National Park; in case you’re wondering.

PS: Thank you for all the comments on Blog Action Day 08. It's coming to a close but it struck me that my day's walk is nothing compared to what some - mostly women and children - do every day just to have water and food.

You Might Also Like

3 comments