THRIFTED TUESDAY

ON Friday I was still packing away gear from the Girl Guide camp of two weekends ago and packing gear for a camp over the school holidays...




ON Friday I was still packing away gear from the Girl Guide camp of two weekends ago and packing gear for a camp over the school holidays. I volunteer as a Girl Guide leader but in the past two weeks it’s felt more like a fulltime vocation. By Friday I’d reached the end of my tether. The only salve was being near an op shop I rarely frequent because it’s out of the way. There’s never much in the way of clothing, but sometimes the furniture is good. On Friday I scored a 1950s edition of alphabet rhymes called Happy Childhood ABC. The social study of gender stereotypes is worth the 50 cent cover price. I spied these two gollywog pictures. Are gollywogs back in vogue? I saw a number of stores with gollywogs when I was in Melbourne last week. I had a life-sized one when I was a child. She was so glam. She had big gold hoop earrings and exotic ric rac-edged skirts and blouse. I wonder what happened to her.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I love the gollywog pic, with his poor little sick stats on the wall.

    I'm not sure about the gollywog resurgence, there definitely seems to be one. I went to a craft show a few years ago and there was a whole stall of them, even a heavily pregnant one, that was a little strange actually.

    They're so lovely though, I wish they didn't carry that bad connotation. Then we cold love them openly, - guilt free golly love for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your banksia looks great.. reminds me of a fifties teatowel.. glad the rest of your melbourne trip was hitch free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - you know I actually started to get excited when I read 'two cups' - I thought - yay - someone has a cup! And then I realised, nah - this lovely woman just wished she had one...what a lovely thought!

    See - just goes to show. You shouldn't do housework or dusting. It's dangerous for vintage and antique items - and for one's sanity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can never go wrong with vintage children books!! i pour over the details - this one looks lovely!! what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay these are so fun - I have a large dick and jane poster similar to these. I love it!

    ReplyDelete