ON MY DESK

I AM never organised to show what's On My Desk, but this week, I thought I’d share what’s on my work desk every single Wednesday. Anyon...


I AM never organised to show what's On My Desk, but this week, I thought I’d share what’s on my work desk every single Wednesday. Anyone familiar with newspaper production will recognise a dummy layout. Mine is, by Wednesday afternoon, scribbled on with pencil and red pen. A pencil, eraser and red pen, you’ll all be thrilled to know, are still standard tools of a writer’s trade.

What tools of your trade have technological advances failed to eradicate?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hmmmmm... stationery... :)

    Paper clips, manilla folders, pens, highlighters in retro colours and a truckload of lined notepads. All these things combined are sometimes more useful than online documentation! Ridiculous really...

    Or maybe I'm just saying that to fuel my stationery obsession...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dreaded red pen!

    In my last job, the one thing that was standard was a red felt tip. My boss liked to have the name/imp date/subject written in red felt tip at the top right. I ended up seeing how that is quite a useful tip and now do it at home.

    I also recall, in remembered dismay, how many emails we had to print out to keep aside for replies and counts for her. I love when I read someone say "I called or wrote x politician....and didn't get a reply." Are you serious?!??!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun series - can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... in my field (medical research), the one thing they can't seem to get by without despite technological advances is lab animals. Although I now work in an area that studies people (to avoid animal work!), so much of the ground work for my research comes from other people's animal studies. It seems impossible to get away from.

    On a lighter note, despite nearly all medical research publications being available to view online (even stuff dating back to the 1800s!), everyone still has to print them out and highlight/make notes all over them ye olde way.

    ReplyDelete