OFF TO CAMP

I WON’T sleep on Friday or Saturday night. I’ll be up before dawn. I’ll smell like cooking and campfires for the entire weekend. I’ll be col...


I WON’T sleep on Friday or Saturday night. I’ll be up before dawn. I’ll smell like cooking and campfires for the entire weekend. I’ll be cold. I might be wet, but I’m hoping not to be. I will be fending off ticks and pulling them from my charges. I’ll be eating cold undercooked and cold overcooked food. I’ll get up a drillion times tonight and tomorrow night to tell giggling teenage girls to “GO TO SLEEP”. I’ll be sore. My hands will be raw. My face will be wind and fire burnt. My hair will be limp and lank. My face will be grotty. I’ll smell. Did I say that already? But, you know what, I wouldn’t have it any other way. Girl Guide camps are hard work. I say again, HARD WORK. But, they’re incredibly rewarding. I love seeing the girls I take away grumble their way through the first 24 hours and then rise to the adventure that a weekend Guide camp is. It is, however, exhausting, and come Sunday evening I’ll unpack my own gear, put a wash on, step into the shower to soak the muck off me and go to bed. On Monday I wake up to fly to Melbourne where, on Tuesday, I’ll see the Victoria and Albert Art Deco exhibition. I’ll be away from the blog for a bit and see you back here on Thursday.

The pic? The camp theme is Fluoro. It was the girls’ choice and we’re making brightly coloured polar fleece wrist warmers and beaded woggles. I was told by one Guide parent that there had been a rush on the cheap and cheerful clothing store Supre. It had a fluoro-inspired end of season sale. I may need my sunnies just to look at these kids for the next three days.

You Might Also Like

6 comments