RUGS, NOT EGGS

THE lovely Carolyn at Comfy & Cosy asked whether the penny eggs might actually be penny rugs. Well, it seems they are indeed. I’d sea...


THE lovely Carolyn at Comfy & Cosy asked whether the penny eggs might actually be penny rugs. Well, it seems they are indeed. I’d searched on the internet for a reference to penny eggs, but couldn’t find one. Carolyn spotted the art form and I have since found a wealth of information about a craft I could well get into. I don’t have the patience for patchwork or quilting, but I could do this. I love the thrift of it. I love rag rugs and the idea of using remnants to create something practical and beautiful.
Photo source: Robyne Melia, of http://robynefmelia.blogspot.com/

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Now where did I first hear of penny rugs...mmm?

    Probably an American craft book from years past.

    I do remember trying a technique of fabric over-dying thrifted woollen clothing (and probably felting it) and cutting it up and sewing it together like penny rugs.

    It seems to be a very old technique and like you say, a very practical and thrifty way of working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to answer a few things for you! The green wool is the hand warmers - still unfinished but I have done a couple of rows!!!! As for my Brown Owls stitching - I am sooooo slack. I was keen at first but undid what I had done as it looked so crappy, and now have not done anymore!! You must say hi on my latest post so I can put you in my giveaway!!! go on you know you want to :)

    ReplyDelete