RECIPE INDEX

I NEVER did get to see the NSW State Library’s exhibition of old cook books , but noted a similar article in the Sydney Morning Herald’s Go...


I NEVER did get to see the NSW State Library’s exhibition of old cook books, but noted a similar article in the Sydney Morning Herald’s Good Living section on Tuesday. This was about collectible cook books. I don’t have a mass of cook books because I tend to give them away, or lose them but there are some op shop purchases I do like, if just for the illustrations and typography. The 1956 edition of the Esquire Cook-Book is illustrated by Bill Charmatz. The layout, content and illustrations make it one of my favourites. Two others are American productions, all organised by a kind of telephone index. The index, in each, is not that practical, but I do turn to these books for old “candy” recipes, puddings, sauces, comfort foods and the best flapjacks. The most recent volume – German Cooking – was bought on the weekend, again for the illustrations and typography. It has a recipe for thick gingerbread and another for thin gingerbread. OK, it’s time to break out the lederhosen.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Heather MooreJuly 22, 2008

    Thanks for your musings on the attractions of teatowels, and it's great to discover your blog (much chuckling). I'm intrigued by that amazing illustration on the right of your pic here. Is that Bill Charmatz? I'm off to Google him immediately.
    Cheers,
    Heather (of Skinny laMinx)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so fun - I can only imagine what great recipes are in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not too late to view the State Library of NSW display on 'Australian Cookbooks'. Based on the Library's extensive collection, the display is based on reproductions of unique Australian recipe books and is on show in the Library's Macquarie Cases. Alternatively you can view it online at http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/events/displays/2008/cookbooks/index.html

    ReplyDelete