EMROIDERY DESIGNS #4, #5, #6 and #7

I AM cheating a bit with these last few “embroidery designs” and have moved onto my love of textile design and weaving. I lived in Vietnam f...



I AM cheating a bit with these last few “embroidery designs” and have moved onto my love of textile design and weaving. I lived in Vietnam for a very short amount of time in 2000 and started collecting woven textiles because they were light and easy to pack for when I returned to Australia. I have always had an interest in woven textiles and in textile design, and was lucky enough to see beautiful weaving techniques in a village in Bangladesh when I was there for a month in 1994. My mother was also a weaver and while she doesn’t do it anymore I loved her books on dyeing and spinning wool. I can recall standing on a chair with a tool that created yarn from hunks of dyed wool. Goodness knows what happened to the pieces she created. I can’t recall there being any around her house now. The pieces of woven cloth pictured above are from Vietnam. The red and white piece is from the White Thai ethnic minority and was woven in a village called Mai Chau, out of Hanoi. The other piece was bought in a market in Hanoi.

You Might Also Like

0 comments